Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 6, 2011

Free Fishing Weekend

This past weekend was a free fishing weekend! In order to encourage more people to fish, the state of Indiana decided to allow people to fish without a license for the weekend. Now, anyone under the age of 17 can fish without a license, but it is $10 for adults to obtain a state fishing license.

So, with no worries of not having the proper state papers, the hubby took Jonathan fishing.  I stayed home with the little one. I'm sure there are fishing days in Tyler's future, but for now, his over developed curiosity makes me a nervous wreck and I'm sure that taking him fishing would not be an enjoyable experience right now. Jonathan was so excited to be doing a "big boy" activity with Daddy anyway. He was about to burst with excitement.



Luckily, we had all the right gear, it just needed to be dusted off a bit...it has been a couple of years since we have gone fishing. In fact, I think it was the first time either one of us had fished since having Jonathan. He has gone with my father a couple of times, but never with one of us. I used to enjoy fishing with my dad too as a kid, but the luster has worn off a bit for me as an adult. Maybe the fact that I never ever caught an actual fish probably has something to do with it.

Not breaking tradition, the boys didn't catch one single fish in the three hours they were out casting their lines. To be honest, I am quite impressed that Jonathan lasted that long! When he gets determined enough, I guess his attention span improves. While no fish were dangling the line, Jonathan did manage to catch a baby snapping turtle. I guess that's better than the sock I once caught!




Many states across the nation are participating in the free fishing weekends, just check with your local Department of Natural Resources. It turned out to be an enjoyable time for both my husband and Jonathan, so I'm pretty sure we'll be purchasing fishing licenses. That of course, was the hope the state had by holding the free fishing weekend.

Trace Adkins has a new song called "Just Fishin." It is a great song about him taking his little girl fishing (he has 5 daughters) and how he feels like they are bonding, but she thinks they are just fishin'. It's a great song and a great theme song to this post.

I’m lost in her there holdin that pink rod and reel
She’s doin almost everything but sittin still
Talkin about her ballet shoes and training wheels
And her kittens,

And she thinks we’re just fishing

I say : Daddy loves you, baby one more time
She says I know. I think I got a bite
And all this laughin, cryin smilin dyin here inside’s
What I call livin

Chorus
And she thinks we’re just fishin’ on the riverside
Throwin’ back what we could fry
Drownin’ worms and killin’ time
Nothin’ too ambitious
She ain’t even thinkin about
What’s really goin’ on right now
But I guarantee this memory’s a big in
And she thinks we’re just fishing

Verse II
She’s already pretty, like her mama is
Gonna drive the boys all crazy
Give her daddy fits
And I better do this every chance I get
Cause time is tickin yeah it is

Chorus
And she thinks we’re just fishin on the riverside
Throwin back what we could fry
Drownin worms and killin time
Nothin too ambitious
She ain’t even thinkin about
What’s really goin’ on right now
But I guarantee this memory’s a big in
And she thinks we’re just fishin

She ain’t even thinkin about
What’s really goin on right now
But I guarantee this memory’s a big’in
And she thinks we’re just fishin
Yeaaah
Ooh she thinks we’re just fishin
We ain’t only fishin

This ain’t about fishin

No comments:

Post a Comment