Powered By Blogger

Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Worst Christmas Cookies Ever

I have been waiting to get things checked off my to-do list so that I could set aside time for baking Christmas cookies with Jonathan.  I wanted to have most things done so that we could really enjoy it, otherwise, I tend to get overwhelmed and then get "snappy." 

Yesterday, I had all of the shopping and gift wrapping done, so I declared it baking day!  I'm not going to kid anyone--I cannot make sugar cookies for the life of me--so I decided to buy premade cookie dough this year.  I found a fancy Wilton pan that has the cutest Christmas shapes that I thought was perfect to use!  My husband and even the baby got involved smashing the premade cookie dough into the fancy shapes and I carefully wiped off any access we might have left behind.  We listened to Christmas music and laughed at how silly we were being. 

We put our cookies in the oven and waited out the cook time by getting our frosting and sprinkles ready to decorate our gems when they came out of the oven. 

Boy, were we in for a surprise!  The cookie dough and managed to rise and the cookies were very dark in color.  I was hoping that when I took them out of the oven that the dough would flatten, but it didn't.  We ended up with what looked more like Christmas muffins, very dark Christmas muffins.  Not exactly what we were going for! 

"The Culprit"


Trying to be optimistic, I thought that as long as they tasted good, we could slap enough frosting on them to cover up the dark color.  Nice plan, but they tasted horrible!  Not only did they look like muffins, but they tasted like them too, and they had a nasty after taste. 

That's when I decided they were unfit for consumption and threw the suckers in the trash.  Jonathan was crushed, so I took what was left of the premade dough and made some extremely flat cookies.  We slathered them with frosting and sprinkled the heck out of them!  Jonathan pretended that we were in a cooking class and enjoyed having the sole responsibility of frosting the cookies.  I had to chuckle, because I would never be allowed to teach a cooking class, but my little guy doesn't care...at least not yet, anyway. 

Not exactly the "memory making" experience I had in mind, but a memory was made none-the-less.  I know we will never forget making the worst Christmas cookies ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment