Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Sorry, But Glue Does Not Stick To Me

Okay, don't get me wrong.  I love Sugarland.  I do not, however, love their new single "Stuck Like Glue."  It is the lead single off the duo's new album titled, "The Incredible Machine"  and has been playing on the radio for a couple of weeks now.  While I will agree it has a catchy tune and it does get "stuck" in my head, but not because I want it to.  There is no question that Jennifer Nettles is one of the most talented individuals in any genre of music right now, but this song is a pop song, not a country one. 

I know what you are thinking...here she goes, preaching about real country music.  Not at all.  I love a little "pop in my country", to quote Tim McGraw.  But I don't like a LOT of pop in my country and I certainly don't like reggae.  That's the same reason why some of Kenny Chesney's songs get on my nerves. 


I also don't know what Nettles thinks she has to prove my transforming her voice into just plain weird noises.  Warning:  Old Lady reference coming...remember when you used to play an LP on the wrong speed to see what crazy sounds you could hear?  That is exactly what I think of when some of these almost nonhuman sounds come from Nettles' beautiful lips.  Or the crazy sounds that my son comes up with when he is trying to annoy me.

Whenever Nettles sings the words "doin it one more TIIIMMMMmmme"  it grates like nails on a chalk board to me.  Most reviews that I have read of this song have all been positive and couldn't praise Nettles enough for her unique sound and great vocals.  I say too much of a good thing is just plain ole too much....which is exactly how I would sum up this song.  I hope the album has better cuts, which is due out on October 19th.


Thank goodness the video is entertaining!




No comments:

Post a Comment