Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 30, 2010

Taylor Swift's "Mine" Hoopla

Okay, so did you watch the "big reveal" of Taylor Swift's video "Mine" on Friday night? I have to admit that I got caught up in the hoopla, even though I complained about it as I was glued to CMT. I hadn't seen the Dateline interview that aired prior to the big special to premier the new video, and it really intrigued me. I laughed pretty hard a couple of times. Especially the "wax in my eye, wax in my eye" ranting Taylor did after blowing out candles in the "chill tent" backstage when the fire marshall was on his way.

I'm really torn on my feelings towards Taylor Swift.  I don't think it is a secret that I find her singing less than desirable, in fact I think she is out of tune pretty much all the time.  However, I think her songwriting is amazing and she has managed to intrigue so many people and appeal to the masses.  On one hand I love her wholesome appeal and influence on young girls, but on the backside of that hand, I wonder how much of it is genuine.  I am getting a little tired of the "I can't believe you guys love me" look on her face when the crowd screams for her.  She even eggs it on, which really annoys me.  Then there is the hair flipping.  C'mon, Tay, get a new move, PLEASE before you give us all whiplash!  All that said, I can't help but sing her songs at the top of my lungs when her songs come on.  And I have mentioned many times that it is on my bucket list to sing back up for Ms. Swift (although if Reba calls, I'll drop her like she's hot) mainly because it just looks like whatever world she is in when she is on that stage looks like so much fun.  She just looks like I did dancing and singing in my room as a teenager--pretty much the reason why I think she appeals to the masses.  It is also the same reason I couldn't turn off the TV Friday night until I saw the stinkin video for "Mine."



While I think the song does not live up to all the propaganda it has been given, I liked the video.  Particularly the part where she is standing among pictures hanging from string outside.  I also liked that we get to see a glimpse of Taylor as an adult with kids.  Perhaps giving us hope that as she ages, we'll still be in love with young girl that took the world my storm. 

Maybe I'll ask LeAnn Rimes what she thinks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment