Powered By Blogger

Friday, January 14, 2011

Let The Disinfecting Begin!

For the past few weeks, our home has been a petri dish full of germs.  We were able to get through Thanksgiving with no one falling ill.  Which surprised me, since many other family members were sick over the holiday.  We were even able to make it through Christmas with not even a sniffle from anyone.  That's when our luck ran out!  The week in between Christmas and New Year's, my husband became sick with a nasty sore throat.  I was so excited to have him home for the week (since he is a teacher and was on break) but instead, I got "Mr. I'm Sick And Grumpy As All Get Out."  Needless to say, I was ready for him to go back to work by the end of the week. 

Then Jonathan came down with the sore throat.  Then the baby got a nasty cold.  Then Jon got the stomach flu.  Then I got the baby's nasty cold.  We got 4 feet of snow.  Then the baby starting vomiting, my sore throat got worse, and everyone is now miserable and up to our necks in snow.  Now, I am kicking myself for wishing my husband back to work, because I could use help!

Needless to say, this weekend will be spent disinfecting our home!  I have never done this before.  I usually just spray some Lysol on the toilets, door knobs and light switches, but I think we are in need of something a little more drastic.  Here's my game plan, with some tips from www.typeaparent.com.

Supplies:

Bleach (no, I am not opposed to using it)

Clean Rags (I use old wash cloths or ratty T-shirts)

Lysol Spray

Lysol Wipes

Rubber Gloves

Bucket or Large Bowl

Plan of Attack for Kitchen:

Dilute 1/4 cup of bleach with 1 gallon of water.  Wearing gloves, wipe down ALL surfaces.  That means sink, faucet, counter tops, and cabinets.  Let the solution sit a few minutes before rinsing it off with a clean rag.  Move on to the appliances, including the inside of the fridge.  Throw away all sponges/scrubbers and throw all dish towels in the wash. 

Plan of Attack for Bathrooms:

Using a new batch of 1/4 cup bleach and 1 gallon of water, wipe down sinks, faucets, counters, shower, tub, and toilet.  Make sure to scrub the interior of the bowl with bleach and allow it to sit for awhile before flushing.  Then wipe down the exterior of the toilet.  Take out all towels and laundry and put them in the wash. 

Plan of Attack for Toys:

Wipe what toys you can with Lysol wipes.  Some of the ones often put in the baby's mouth should go into the sink with a bleach/water solution.  Place all stuffed animals in pillow cases and wash them in the washing machine with hot water.  Let them air dry.  Spray the Lysol spray on any remain toys that were not able to be washed. 

Plan of Attack for Bedrooms:

Wash all bedding in the hottest water possible, using bleach on all white linens.  Wipe down all light switches with the Lysol wipes, door knobs and bed posts.  Use a diluted bleach mixture on the hardwood floors, or spray with Lysol. 

ETC:

Wipe down walls, doors, door handles, cabinet handles, windowsills, light switches, phones, remotes, computer with Lysol wipes.

Plan of Attack on Laundry:

Wash everything in as hot as water as possible, using bleach when able, including the rags used to clean all the rooms.  When all laundry is done, run an empty cycle of hot water and bleach to clean the washing machine. 

Plan of Attack In Radio Studio:

Since I spend a lot of time there and so does everyone else at work, and we all breathe into microphones, I'll be taking my Lysol spray to work with  me to spray that mic!  As well as the board, keyboard, mouse, and chair!


Hopefully by the end of the weekend we will all be well and disinfected--ready to take on 2011 a with good health!

1 comment:

  1. I love the Type A Parent site, as I write foodie posts there, and love being a DIY, saving money and fun projects. Thought I would ask you if I can post a link back to http://www.ProPartsNow.com, as it is a good place to get golf cart parts and accessories.
    I also love your Candied Carrot Recipe.
    I like that you are supportive of your husband and kids.

    ReplyDelete